Wednesday, May 02, 2007

How to Handle Rejection: Perseverance!

The following is an historical interchange between an applicant for Harvard Business School – after his rejection - and the Dean:


Dean W. Curie
Chairman, MBA Admissions Board
Harvard Business School
Soldiers Field
Boston, Massachusetts 02163

Dear Dean Currie:

Your rejection letter has been received and given careful consideration. Unfortunately, the number of qualified schools trying to reject me far exceeds the number I am willing not to attend. Therefore, I am sorry that I cannot accept your letter and will be attending Harvard in the fall.

Thank you for you interest in rejecting me. You have my best wishes for success in finding another student to reject for the position which I intend to take. I look forward to seeing you in September.

Sincerely,



* * * * * * * * * * * * * *


Dear…,

Your rejection letter of January 17 has been received and given careful consideration. Unfortunately the number of not quite qualified applicants not accepting our rejection still exceeds the number of places in the class. Therefore, I am sorry that I cannot accept your letter indicating your intention to enroll in the fall.

Thank you for you interest in rejecting our letter. You have my best wishes for finding another school to accept your rejection of their rejection.

Sincerely,



Dean W. Currie


The man was eventually accepted – late.

No comments: