Sunday, May 27, 2012

Epistemological Thought For the Day




Apropos Benedict XVI’s “Silence and Word: Path of Evangelization” for World Communication Day on May 20th past, John Waters writes in “Traces No. 2, 2012 p. 13:

                “It is a strange paradox: we need to speak the words, however limited, so as to make possible the spaces between them, but the words on their own always come to nothing. At best, they ignite in the listener, reader, a sense of recognition, which becomes stronger when the silence enters. Really, there is no communication except the mutual exchange of experience. We understand only what we already know. The words help, but they are not the final destination of our reflection”


Blogger: recall that I can never reach the "I" of the other by any other means than the experience of my own "I," for if I do, I have rendered "it" an object and therefore is no longer the subject, "I." The "I" emerges in the free act of self-determination, and if another determines himself in a common effort with me, then I can transfer my irreducible experience of myself to him and know him ab intus (from within himself). This is how one knows Christ (who is prayer) in prayer (which is the first act of faith). 

No comments: